Getting an Xbox Refund Has Never Been Easier!
If the war between iPhone and Android users has a counterpart in the gaming world, it would be between PlayStation and Xbox gamers. In case you belong to the Xbox team, you’ve probably used Microsoft Store at least once.
Once separate digital distribution platforms Windows Phone Store, Windows Marketplace, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and Xbox Store (formerly known as Xbox Live Marketplace), merged into an all-encompassing Microsoft Store. If you’re shopping for digital games for your Xbox console, that’s where you need to go.
Xbox One console sold around 50 million copies worldwide, and with thousands of games available on its game store, some issues are bound to happen. If you’ve ever purchased a hyped-up game and then got disappointed with it, you have probably wondered whether you can get your money back and how to request a refund.
Xbox Refund Policy
Getting a refund for a digital game was not possible for a long time. Whether you bought games for your PC, PlayStation, or Xbox online, the refund policies looked the same—all sales are final. As that situation started to change in recent years, Xbox and Microsoft Store followed the trend. Although it’s possible to request a refund for an Xbox game, it doesn’t mean it’s easy.
If you open the Digital Game Purchase Refund Terms page, the Refund Eligibility section doesn’t sound encouraging. All sales of digital game products are considered final, except for some extenuating circumstances. Piecing out what those circumstances are is not an easy task. After hunting for clarifications on several support pages, you might learn that Xbox refund policy includes these rules:
- You need to have a legitimate reason when asking for a refund
- Refunds are available only within 14 days after the purchase
- You cannot get a refund if you play a game for more than two hours across all accounts
- Refunds are possible at least one day after the game’s release date, and after you download and launch the game at least one time
- Downloadable content, add-ons, and season passes cannot be refunded
When it comes to legitimate reasons that can secure you a refund for the game you want to return, here are the options:
- The wrong game has been purchased by accident
- The game doesn’t work or severely malfunctions
- There is an error with your bill
- The game was purchased by someone else using your account
If the refund request gets approved, Microsoft will return the money within a few business days. There is no mention of whether you can choose the payment method for the refund.
Based on the statement that you need to check with your bank whether the applicable payment method has been properly credited, it is plausible to think that the refunds are processed to the original means of payment whenever possible.
Subscriptions and Digital Game Pre-Orders
You may request a refund for pre-orders and Xbox subscriptions like Xbox Live, but these are usually treated as cancelations, and you won’t have to fill out any forms.
For canceling Xbox Live subscriptions, you can turn off recurring billing, and if you qualify for any refunds, you will be offered that option on the Services & subscriptions page in your account.
If you want to use Xbox Live during the trial period but don’t want to get charged because you might forget to cancel on time, you can check out the DoNotPay virtual credit card.
In the case of pre-orders, you can cancel up to ten days before the release. If you miss that window, you may still qualify for getting your money back, but you will have to request a refund.
How to Request a Refund for an Xbox Game?
The refund policies for Xbox digital games are not as straightforward as you may expect. Asking for a refund button can be found on their Request a refund page and here’s what you will need to do:
- Once you get to the page, sign in to an Xbox account with your username and password
- Go to your Order history
- Click on the order number of the item and select Request refund at the bottom of the list
- Confirm that the title and the order number of the item are correct
- Select one of the legitimate reasons for your refund request
- Depending on the reason, you might have to provide additional information
- Confirm the email address you want to use for handling the request
- Click Submit
Can you request a refund via
Yes / No
How Long Does It Take Microsoft to Refund Money?
When you finalize your Xbox refund request, you will receive a confirmation email. After verifying whether your purchased item qualifies for a refund based on the submitted form and documents, a Support Team representative will reach out to you within 72 hours. In case you don’t see an email from them, you are advised to check your email spam or junk inbox.
Checking the status of your Xbox refund request is easy. You can find the information in your account’s Order history. If you have more questions about the status or if you want to complain after your request gets denied, you are advised to reply to the confirmation email or the last email you received regarding the refund.
Issues You Might Experience When Making an Xbox Refund Request
Though Microsoft’s refund policies for Xbox might seem strict, it is not impossible to get your money back for digital items that qualify as refundable. There is one thing to be careful about—you shouldn’t abuse the system and treat it like a platform for multiple two-hour demos. In case Microsoft representatives establish that you’re abusing your refund rights, they will stop offering them except when legally obliged.
Another common issue that users who request Xbox refunds experience is the inability to locate their purchase in the Order history. In such cases, there are several possible explanations:
- The purchase was made less than 24 hours ago
- The item was bought through a different account
- Your purchase was a pre-order
- Your purchase was a subscription
- Your purchase was a physical Xbox product
- You gifted someone a game
Dealing With Xbox Refunds Is Easy With DoNotPay!
If your head starts to hurt because of all these Xbox refund policies and rules, do not despair. DoNotPay is the first robot lawyer app that can help when you want to get your money back. You won’t have to deal with Xbox refund forms and categories. All you have to do is get DoNotPay in your web browser.
Once you create your DoNotPay profile, follow these easy steps to secure that refund:
- Log in and select Chargeback Instantly
- Add details about your bank and payment options
- When asked for merchant information, type in Xbox or Microsoft Store
- Follow the rest of the steps to make a strong case for a refund
Once you finish the questionnaire, DoNotPay will send a dispute letter to your bank and Microsoft. If necessary, our virtual legal team will provide you with additional evidence to support your claim.
DoNotPay Can Help you Get a Refund for Various Services
Don’t you just hate it when you buy a product or service and realize it’s not to your liking? Your money doesn’t need to be wasted like that. With the help of DoNotPay, you can request a refund from any company, even the ones that officially offer no refunds, in just a couple of minutes. All you need to do is provide our chatbot with the necessary information, and we will fax a refund request to your bank. We can also contact the service provider for you and ask them to refund your payment. We can help you request a refund from:
- Steam service, including any game on Steam, as well as a gift on Steam
- Green Man Gaming
- Best Buy
- Amazon, when you cancel your order
DoNotPay Protects Your Privacy and Finances
Sharing your credit card details online comes with certain risks, and it’s getting more difficult to tell good and bad websites apart. With DoNotPay’s virtual credit card generator, you will be able to protect your identity and bank account from cyber scammers.
Whenever you run into a suspicious email or website, generate a virtual credit card and proceed without worries. Our virtual cards also work like a charm if you want to avoid automatic payments after free trials.
Microsoft Store Refunds Are Just One Thing That DoNotPay Can Help You With!
Assistance with Xbox refunds is just one of the things in DoNotPay’s impressive portfolio. For other gaming needs, you might want to check how to deal with PlayStation Store refunds, or how to request your money back on Steam and Origin with DoNotPay.
Do you have to deal with more administrative and legal problems? You can rely on DoNotPay to provide a smooth and user-friendly experience. Explore more options by getting DoNotPay in your web browser:
- Deal with issues with credit cards
- Fight speeding tickets
- Get rid of unwanted subscriptions or memberships
- Get refunds from other companies
- Skip the phone queue when getting in touch with customer service reps
- Get revenge on robocalls
- Sue people and companies in small claims court
- Schedule a DMV appointment fast and easy
- Deal with traffic tickets
- Contest parking tickets
- Deal with bills you are unable to pay
- Get refunds for delayed or canceled flights
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment